Monday, May 19, 2014

Ask them out already!

Okay so I want to preface with the fact that I can count the number of relationships I've been in on one hand, so I'm not an expert or anything of the sort. But there is one thing I do know and that annoys me so much. No one is going to know your true feelings until you say them out loud!

Like I get it, it's a huge deal asking someone out. I've been there I know the feeling all too well. You don't get butterflies in your stomach, you get huge giant anvils churning around. Your confidence melts away to doubts. Do they really like you? Or were you just misreading the signs the whole time? It's a scary place to be because you don't know how much they like you or how willing they are to start a relationship. There are plenty of people who want to be in relationships but it isn't their main priority at the moment, there are also people that like you but don't want to ruin the friendship you have, and lastly, and the most dreaded, there are people that just aren't into you.



But I mean hey, it happens. You can't get too hung up on one person who rejected you. Sure it might feel like the end of the world but it's really not. There are billions of people on this planet, you just have to reach out for some of them. I'm not saying to do something drastic like die your hair and style it like a mohawk while wearing riding boots and blasting metal music (unless that's your thing). Be yourself but talk to people. Take a friend with you and sure at first it'll be awkward when you're trying to think of what to say but try to find common ground: interests you share, stuff that you're passionate about, simple stuff like that and then from there expand. Basically going around and talking to people is a sure fire way to help you get over your rejection and hey you might find someone you like on the way.


Also don't let the thoughts of getting rejected stop you from asking the someone you're interested in. It's stupid. Life will move on like nothing happened. You probably won't remember that moment 20 years from now so get over yourself and just ask them out. I'm not saying it's easy but you'll never know if they like you back if you don't ask. Sure you'll have doubts ever step of the way. You'll probably back out a few times before you actually tell them (I definitely did). And then when you tell them it probably won't be that smooth. I ooze confidence on a normal day, all of that flew out the window when I started talking. I stalled for a solid 20 minutes (which worked given the situation) and then managed to convince the guy that I'm not interested in dating him (oops!).

Basically what I'm saying I guess is it's not going to go perfectly, but does life ever go perfectly? Life is like a rickety old railroad that is constantly being built. You'll have your ups and downs but in the end you are the architect so make your life how you want it to be. 

1 comment:

  1. technically anything that can be counted on one hand can be counted on multiple hands.

    ReplyDelete